Monday, March 12, 2012

Crisis!!!


My father and brother have both ingested cyanide.

Please read the info-graphic below while I have a meltdown.


How did this happen? I spent most of this morning pacing up and down... asking myself this question, asking my father this question and yelling this question out to the multiverse in general.

My aunt had sent a food supplement* from abroad... and my dad mistaking it for a fruit snack, ripped open the packet and was liberally offering it to all at home. I declined the first time I was offered, and the second time, my brother told me it tasted vile and was best avoided.

On a chance phone call with my aunt, I find out that this product is actually meant for a relative with cancer, that the active ingredient ("vitamin" B17) is actually cyanide. In addition, there was a warning message on the back of the pack stating "eating 2 or more kernels can cause acute cyanide poisoning".

GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

By this time my dad has eaten six, my brother two and the Baby's nanny had popped three in her mouth but spat them out because of the taste.

From that moment, I was hyperventilating and in a total frenzy, reading up on the internet, making frantic calls to the National Poisons Centre and blasting my dad for not reading the package or the instructions that they were meant for our sick relative.

Happily, none of them had any acute effects, but I loaded them with vitamin B12 (antidote, usually given by injection) and will be getting their blood tested for a couple of weeks and keep an eye out for nasty effects.

What gives me the shivers is that I could easily have eaten it and it would have passed on to the little Bumtrinket, with disastrous effects. We would have known nothing until she suddenly stopped breathing or her kidneys packed up or something. I was shaking all the time and didn't stop until I burst into tears, hugged her and let all the misery and fear out.

Today's lesson: always ALWAYS check what you eat, especially if it is something new or unfamiliar and keep yourselves safe!

_______________________
* I am not naming it for ethical reasons, i.e. someone may be tempted to try it

18 comments:

rosetintedview said...

Lol, your dad is crazy. But seriously. Not a laughing matter. Educate him more. Same thing I did with my dad.

Azrael said...

Hope your Dad & Bro are doing ok now.

cj said...

Thank goodness for small miracles. Gosh how does a cancer treatment supplement look like a fruit snack??? That does beat me.

Gehan said...

Good god are you serious?! How do you mistake a food supplement for a fruit snack?!

This is just bizarre.. So glad it worked out alright! Unbelievable..

Cadence said...

Whoa. That's a close one. Hope everyone's doing ok and don't worry ur a responsible mum. You'll be fine :)

Angel said...

Thanks everyone! They both seem ok, but am waiting for test results in the evening...

Ahmed : I know! Dad is getting some serious education these days...

CJ, Gehan : The stuff was made from bitter apricot pits, hence the packaging had a tempting picture of juicy apricots. This product is actually banned in US and Canada!

GG said...

OMG! That's just scary stuff!!
If I were your aunt I would've attached a note to the package mentioning who it was meant for. But seriously, yes you need to read through the packaging before putting anything in your mouth. I'm so glad you and bumtrinket are ok.

santhoshi said...

Oh dear!

Hey angel on another note I have discovered ( well not by my own research but googling;) Anoda fruit really helps cancer patients. You should check it out! I can guarantee I have seen amazing results with a relative

niroshini said...

Whaaat?
That is so scary! But I'm glad everyone is fine :)

bingo said...

:O :O ....
I do believe in miracles...:)

Dee said...

wow scary! glad u guys are ok...

Natasha said...

That was quite alarming and scary. So glad everything ended up just fine.

Hoot-a-Toot said...

I got goosebumps reading that. I can so understand your reaction thinking abt bumtikums! Glad everything is ok!

Knatolee said...

Holy CRAP!!!! I am so glad you didn't eat any, and that everyone seems to be okay. That is so scary.

Angel said...

Thanks again for all your support everyone! Dad, Brother and Nanny are all well and looking sheepish after getting well and truly told off (not the Nanny, can't afford to lose her). Test results are normal and self is breathing a sigh of relief!

Santhoshi: thanks, will pass on the message...

Janith Leanage said...

Whoa. :/ That's messed up.

Glad everyone's ok!

sayanthan said...

That's scary indeed. Glad to know they are fine.

swijenaike said...

oh my gosh! I'm so glad you didn't eat it and pass it to baby! Hope you dad and bro are ok. What a scary thing to happen!! they should write the warnings bigger on those things! My dad has cancer. I hope he is not being given cyanide in meds!