Tuesday, January 3, 2012

7 dead bodies...


... lay there under the harsh light, waiting to be disposed. All victims of the same killing spree, they had died within minutes, if not seconds of each other. Limbs were crumpled against their still forms, yet even in death, their torsos sowed the bloated evidence of their bloody and parasitic existence.

Image from here


Gentle readers, I killed three mosquitoes yesterday. So what, you may ask, it's three less mosquitoes, but no big deal. It was a big deal for me though... it was the first time in seventeen years that I had deliberately, with malice aforethought, killed another creature.

Yes, I'm one of those* people. I let mossies suck my blood while I move to a window or doorway and flick them off. I fish spiders out of toilet bowls. I catch roaches in silisili bags and throw them out. I painstakingly remove each little ant before I wash a neglected teacup.

But...

Yesterday morning, my baby woke up with nearly 20 livid scarlet bumps all over her little body... on her face, arms and legs. Despite our best efforts, a bloodsucker had got in through the defenses of her cot and spent a merry few hours feasting on her. I was heartbroken at her plight and furious with myself for not detecting the creature before such damage was done. By evening, she began to develop a reaction around the bites, and her entire skin was turning a deep and angry pink. The poor little thing was quite distressed and cried for nearly an hour, and worse still, refused milk.

In my paranoid state I was thinking of all the dire possibilities from some sort of mutant dengue, to chicken pox to Kawasaki disease. Her doctor confirmed that yes, these are nasty insect bites causing an allergic reaction and she was then slathered in calamine lotion.

I covered her with her net, checked that the edges were firmly against the bed and went for dinner. When I came back, a fat, bloated creature had somehow wriggled inside and was buzzing around, clearly replete. I felt nothing but sharp clear fury (not my daughter, you bitch!**) as I squashed it to oblivion.

Later, as the body count mounted, I felt a sort of sick remorse... but my daughter is more important (to me) than a swarm of pests.

Where do you draw the line when in comes to avihimsa (non-violence?)
___________________________
* no, I'm not vegetarian, but I do try... I eat meat maybe 2-3 times a week, usually in the form of pastries and pizza topping.

** Molly Weasley, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

8 comments:

Hoot-a-Toot said...

I totally get you. After listening to Ajan Brahm I too stopped killing mozzies. But I can't help feel utter rage when I see them on my toddler and I forget all karma and what not and whack! :( Mother's instinct? I think we do without even thinking to protect our babies.

Happy new year to you and darling (yours, not mine:) and baby bole. xxxxx

cj said...

Way to go Angel nice way to start a new year! By the way Happy New year to you.

Janith said...

Wow. :/ I use a net too but they always find a way to get through... :( But I guess a mother will always sacrifice everything, even her life, for her children.

Happy New Year to you! :)

santhoshi said...

Happy New Year !

I kill the mosquitoes, nothin stops me and I am vegetarian. Not co-related at all.

GG said...

yeah...I'm also one of those rare few who go "pooff" rather than 'smack' at the mozzies.
You probably don't won't to use toxic chemicals to get rid of the pests so try garlic. Apparently they have a genetic allergy or something to garlic (the blood sucking vampires!)
You can just burn the skins or small pieces, or do what I sometimes do - chuck in a few garlic cloves in the blender with water, bottle the garlic juice in a spray can and spray all over before they fly in for the evening shift (doesn't leave stains), specially on windows. I even smear it on myself when I'm working in the garden.

Anonymous said...

Though not a female, I get you on this... whatever decision you make,its a tough one, ne?
Btw, since Ajan Brahm's name was mentioned, you may be interested to know that they have live streamings; and the usual Dhamma talk starts at 5:30 pm on Friday.

http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/dhammaloka-live.html
Mahisha

Jack Point said...

Kill 'em, kill 'em all....

JP in Texas Chainsaw Massacre Mode...:)

Shall send over one of those electric racquets.

Angel said...

Su: thanks for understanding... and for the lovely wishes!

Thanks for the great wishes CJ, wish you the same!

Janith : well... it's a far cry from sacrificing my life, but yeah, i get you... Happy New Year to you too!

Santhoshi : thanks, that puts it nicely in perspective!

GG : that's a great idea, thinks!

Mahisa : Thank you for the link. I am a great fan of Ajahn Brahm

JP : please don't.. those electric racquets give me the heebie-jeeebies!